Decades ago, our family drove through a blinding snowstorm at night on an interstate highway in Arizona on our way to a winter-break vacation in sunny California. As the car’s headlights reflected off the barrage of white flakes, we slowed to a crawl, straining our eyes to see the highway markings and not stray off the road.
Our life in Messiah is also a journey, a journey of transformation with plenty of “low visibility” moments and “opportunities for growth” along the way. Each of us is on a personal road of challenge, discovery and change—and we are also travelling together with others. Understanding this journey helps us find God’s love and redemption in every situation.
Here are a few basic questions that point the way:
Why do I exist? What is my purpose?
Who am I? What is my identity?
Where can I find peace and security?
What does it mean to love God with true devotion?
Why does personal transformation sometimes elude me, and what will achieve it?
We discern a process:
Purpose -> Identity -> Security -> Devotion -> Transformation
For each “step” in the process, there are foundational passages of Scripture.
Would you join me by searching out these passages and additional passages that speak to you in these areas? It will deepen and strengthen you for the journey as you embrace whom God has made you to be and calls you to become.
- PURPOSE—Why do I exist?
- Genesis 1:26-28 – Made in God’s image & likeness, to carry His nature (2 Peter 1:4)
- Genesis 2:7-8,15 – Inbreathed by God’s Spirit, He puts His very Spirit in us
- Romans 5 – Through Yeshua, we return to the purpose originally given to Adam
- IDENTITY—Who am I?
- Psalm 8:4-8 – Man is crowned with glory and honor, granted dominion over creation
- John 1:12-13 – Through faith in Yeshua I become a child of God, born of God
- John 3:3-7 – The new (second) birth brings me into God’s kingdom, forever!
- Romans 8:14-16 – I have been adopted by the Living God as a co-heir with Messiah
III. SECURITY—How can I find peace within?
- Psalm 61:2 – When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I
- Deuteronomy 31:6; Hebrews 13:5; Matthew 28:20 – I will never leave you nor forsake you
- Hebrews 4:16; 10:19-23 – We are to come boldly before God’s throne of grace
- DEVOTION—What does it mean to be “in love” with God?
- Deuteronomy 6:4,5; Matthew 22:37 – Love the Lord your God with all your heart
- Song of Songs 2:4,10,13, 16 (and the entire book) – My beloved is mine and I am his
- 1 John 3:16; 4:9-10 – He loved us first and showed it by laying down His life
- Philippians 3:7-14 – All things are rubbish compared to knowing Yeshua
- TRANSFORMATION—When will I be whole?
- Psalm 84:7; Proverbs 4:18 – The path of the righteous shines every brighter…
- Colossians 3:3, 8-10 – You have put on the new man…according to the image of the Creator
- 2 Corinthians 3:17-18, Romans 8:29 – We are being transformed into His likeness
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 – Old things have passed away, all things have become new